Here she is at last, my Broken City:
Next, planning how the compartment beneath will house the components:
Then cutting out the box that will contain them. Jigsaws aren’t ideal for this, it’s fiddly, and you need more practice than I’ve had to get everything perfectly straight. 🙂
Installing the switch – it’s horribly ugly so I decided to inset it discretely beneath. The wires will go through the small drilled holes into the switch. The dremel is fantastic for fiddly jobs like this.
Coming together, I’ve also drilled a notch out of the frame by the light to accommodate the housing.
Gluing and clamping. I toyed with a few different ways of joining everything and decided on a liquid nails type product. I’m no carpenter, that’s for sure!
Decided the battery would be taped beneath. This keeps it from moving around but means it can still be replaced when it expires.
I tried using hot glue to inset the glass but it didn’t bind well. Scraped it out and used the same liquid nails. The clean up is tricky because of the confined space, but with a tiny screw driver I was able to clear away excess.
Turning it back on – fantastic shadows 🙂
I’m really happy, it’s lovely to look at when the light is on or off. The size of the shadows are controlled by how close you put the sculpture to the wall.